It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2011-01-20

Noise

We have a paging system at work. It runs through the phones. In the lab, I have a hard time hearing the pages. More specifically, I have a hard time telling what some folks say. It isn't their fault. I figured out that some people's voices hit the same frequencies that the fans of the computers hit. I think some people speak in more advantages tones. Other folks can shout and not be heard in there.

We are fixing a new office area at my office. People will be moving in soon. I was down there helping set up yesterday. It was so quite. Everyone else was off working on other bits of the business. I was there trying to get some wireless stuff to work. It was quite. No running equipment. No people or phones. The only noise was me complaining under my breath and the air conditioning emitting a hum.

I wish I had a room in my home I could keep empty. Nothing on the walls. Nothing on the floor. Just walls and me. Nothing kicks my imagination like that. As long as I have the opportunity to come and go when I want, and it didn't start to feel like a prison cell, I think it would be very therapeutic. This would be a great place for the creative juices to flow.

Maybe I can create something like this room. This idea of a blank room makes me think of meditation. That might be what I'm looking for. This is a place to relax my mind and let my conscious self wander around in my own thoughts.

If you saw all my work areas you would think that I have a fear of empty, uncluttered or dust free spaces. I am messy. The mess follows me around. The empty room would have a computer in it shortly. Then would come a set of shelves. That table and chair just showed up unexpectedly. Before you know it, I would be weaving my way through the paths between the clutter.

No, I'm not a border. I'm more just lazy. I have an unfortunate high tolerance for crap. I fell in love with my grandfather's old houses. He had boxes and shelves full of cool old junk. Stuff that was still in some way useful, for the most part. Nothing had a place, but he knew where much of it was. If you dug deep enough, you found tools that were old and rusty or useless. This is why I try to go through my stuff and get rid of useless stuff after a while. A bag full of old useless compute equipment left the house last night. You can't tell by looking at the shelves I pulled all the stuff from.

The rummage was a failure because I was looking for a microphone. I need one for Skype. I've gone through fifteen over my lifetime. I used to have a couple that I had purchased for $0.50 each at a garage sale. These lasted me twenty years. They then vanished. I had a chance to buy a $2 mic on Amazon, but it looked like it sucked. The headsets look useful, but they want $20 for any that look like more than crap. None of the inexpensive ones are stereo. I need to hit some garage sales for a used mic that doesn't suck.

This trek was not so much a trip down memory lane so much as a wallow in the cat hair and dust. I tossed old IDE drive cables, parallel printer cables, cordless phones, mobile phones, broken keyboards, dead batteries and goodness knows what else. This was very noisy. I'm trying to connect with the title of this post. I've gotten off track. I found a couple of lantern mantles, a hot glue gun and some ear plugs. No microphone.

No comments: