It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2009-01-11

Science Fiction and My Brain

I must think much like a science fiction writer. Every time I learn something about quantum or the speed of light or 3D printing (fabricating), my brain takes off on wild what-if laden adventures of "Wouldn't that be scary/interesting/cool?" I mean it happens every time. I can't help it.

It is disheartening in a way because now I know that people who have more gumption (get to it and get it done) than I are thinking the same thing and beating me to the punch. Not that I throw the punch mind you. I haven't written anything I'd call fiction in quite some time. It is not easy. You have to keep a world in you head with all kinds of bits floating around. You are bound to miss something. Someone will read your work and point it out and you will pull a Charlie Brow "UGGGGHHHHH!!!" then throw the notebook across the room.

Let me tell you, hearing the story I thought of months ago, but never acted on written down and published in some magazine kicks off a whole list of paranoid reaction. "Are they in my head?" "Am I the only one who is real?" See what I mean about can't turn it off? If you ever wondered where all these head cases who do wild things come from, it is that part of the brain that is responsible, I promise. The truth is more along the lines that some news blurb, probably on Slashdot, went by that planted that seed in my lazy mind and the mind of someone far more industrious.

The answer here is obvious to me. Get a move on and write down, regardless of how bad it ends up being, your ideas and the stories that come to mind. Plant the seed and let it grow. Don't worry about the result. Find out what the result is. Stick it on the blog and let people laugh at it.

No comments: