It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2005-03-01

Balance
Intelligence, creativity and drive.
Definitions
Drive: The sheer force with one's self to make what one wants to happen, happen.
I want to include faith, but I believe that falls under drive. Some might replace drive with will. There is a subtle difference between the two.
Creativity: The ability to do more that stir other's ideas. The ability to generate original thought. The ability to know what is there, even when no one else can conceive of it.
Intelligence: The ability to take known information and generate something new. The ability to apply knowledge to new, unknown situations and get the desired result.
Balance: This is the hard one. This is the one that ties all three together. Some call it thinking on your feet. Some call it horse sense.
Thoughts
I believe in my heart that if you have a good balance between Intelligence, creativity and drive you will excel far beyond most other humans. This thought came to me while reading some dribble from Bill Gates about High School problems.  He talks about "We need a new design that realizes that all students can do rigorous work." I'm sorry Bill, but there is a left half to the bell curve. There are stupid people who must be taught to survive, not excel. Gates knows this. He has a staff of genuine geniuses who write software for his company.
Let's call this balance Application.
Please notice, I do not include leadership. That is because I don't believe those who can, do. Those who can't, teach. Those who can do neither, lead. That is not true, of course. The best leaders are those who can teach, do, and lead. That is a different set of items to have in balance.
Let's call this balance Guidance.
Out there, somewhere, are the precious few who have balance among balance. I would very much like to meet one of these rare accomplishments. They cannot be wrought by the society to which I participate. There must be divine intervention to create these gems.
For examples of those with Application, I turn to Nobel Prize winners. Certainly not all. Only a few of these creative individuals have Application. One must have effected contribution.
For examples of those with Guidance, I turn to history's great leaders. Whether evil, righteous, right or wrong leaders must do more than simply make a difference to their subjects. Those with Guidance take a nation or many nations down a different path. The only example I can think of is Churchill.
Then there are people who have both Guidance and Application. When I picture myself as one of these beings, I feel a rush of endorphins. How magnificent it would be to have what it takes to be that man. (I'm a man, so that being would be a man, I'm not saying it couldn't be a woman.)

No comments: