It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2004-07-27

Dog Bit
I got bit by a dog this morning on my way into work. I didn't realize it got more than a stitch of pant leg until I got to work. There is just a scratch, but that is enough to get an infection. Now, I have to go to the doctor. I have to find out which apartment it was. The dog was tied to a front door. I walked along from the bus stop like I do every day. The dog had just enough leach to run after me (after I passed it) and nip me on the left leg. I only heard it growl at the last second. I intend on sending the resident a bill for a pair of pants and the doctor. I didn't even think to snap a picture this morning. Man that would have been a good idea. I had the stinking camera. More later.
More on dog
I've noticed I'm very distracted at work. It is funny how much I have to focus to do my jog. It is a good feeling really that I have to concentrate on my work. I feel a bit more like an artisan because of that. Any distraction, like being hit by a car or bit by a dog on the way in to work, will through off my game all day. I suppose it is natural.
. . .
I got back from the doctor and I'm fine. I am looking at pepper spray online. I think the pills I have to take (antibiotics) are bigger than the dog that bit me.
Dog Bit

Hit by cars
I've been hit by four cars on the way to work in the last seven or so years I've been here. I walk about a mile from the bus stop to the front door. I used to walk down the belt way, but now I walk through a neighborhood behind the building.
1. I got off the bus and as I was crossing the street, in the crosswalk, a car just pulled up too far and bumped me. I screamed at him and kept going. They just didn't stop at the line. The rolled forward into me at a slow speed.
2. While walking down the belt way a pickup pulled out of a driveway and as the driver looked left and turned right he just ran into me at a slow speed. I went up on the hood of that vehicle. I screamed at them and kept going. They just were not looking where they were going. 3. I was walking down the belt way. There is this corner at Brier Forest and the belt way when you are headed South and make a right on Brier Forest. The landscaping of the building will not allow you to turn the corner on the curb without plowing through the foliage. While stepping off the curb to round the corner I was clipped by a person turning right. I doubt they even know they hit a pedestrian. They were looking left and turning right.
4. The paper guy in the neighborhood behind the building, never stops at the corners. They do only have yield signs. He creeps along and concentrates on throwing papers. One morning he was well back from the intersection as I approached on foot. I stepped into the street thinking he was far enough off. I crossed more than half way across the street when I realized he was right on top of me. I was on the left side of the street. He was so busy messing with his papers he didn't notice he was making a left from the left side of the street without stopping. (cutting the corner)
All of these have things in common. They were at intersections. They were at slow speeds. They were distracted (as best as I could tell), and they all hit a pedestrian following the rules as best as he could. I've had people tell me not to walk in the street. I've never been hit by a car while walking in the street. It is always while following the rules as best as I can that I have been hit. I need to move to a city with good public transportation. I need to find a city where pedestrians have some rights. I'm told Texas laws dictate that any one in the street, not in a crosswalk, who is hit is at fault. I feel oppressed.
Funny thing is, the dog did more damage than the cars.

Damn It
Here we go again. Now it looks like Egypt is paying off the bad guys. I bet the U. S. has paid for bad guys to go away. It upsets me when leaders of nations just don't get it. They take the easy way out. This is not why I pay taxes.

1 comment:

CyndyMW said...

I had no idea that you'd been hit by four cars! Hopefully the next one doesn't hurt you. Hopefully there is not a next one.

Chicago and New York both had excellent public transport systems. It's cold, though. I bet L.A. does, too, and it's not too cold there.