It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2003-04-15

Database error
We discovered an error in our old database at work today. It is an antiquated system that runs on VMS. People couldn't do their job properly without it though. There is no software that really does wheat it does. There are some that try. Anyway. I found the key is stored in the database using a unique value of -1 as an identifier in the id field. I guess that works. In the field next to it is the last used string id that the machine used. Well, guess what, the counter got off. So the machine is trying to add a duplicate row every time it is updated. I can't just fix the counter. I have to test it first in the test database to recreate the error. I have to submit a ticket to the support people. I have to alert the users. I have to write up a plan of action. I can't just add one to the counter and type “commit”.

Insanity
I just caught myself talking to my computer equipment again. I told my DVD burner to “Just burn at 1 speed and don't give me no lip.” I've said much worse to various parts of this system and others. I try to keep a civil tong in my head at work, but I still talk to the computer. Mostly give it orders and gripe. I point out how it could go so much further if it just did what I told it to do. It is really convinced. . . . It's burning at one speed and it didn't give me any lip. Hmmmmm. Triumph.

No comments: