It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2011-07-06

Icon update needed

I'm looking at the icons on my phone. I worry an update may be in order.

The call and hang up icons are an old time phone hand set. The actions they depict are picking up the receiver and putting it back down. I have one of these on my desk at work. I haven't worked with that in a while because I use a headset for the most part. All the phones in my life are pretty much push button. Still relevant though.

The settings icon is a round dial. Those are rare as hen's teeth any more. Some radios in cars still have them. BMW uses a magic nob kind of controller for their in car computer. Guess it is at least relevant still.

The video icon is a film projector, an aperture, or a piece of film. None of which are actually used in the video system on the phone. Now that movies are going digital, are there any situations where people use film on a daily basis?

The camera is an aperture or a 35mm camera. The noise it makes is that of a single reflex lens camera.

Both the mail icons are paper letters sticking out of paper envelopes. How much longer will that be relevant? Most everything will be handled electronically or by courier in the future I bet.

The map app is a fold up map. When is the last time you used one of those? I haven't even noticed key maps much any more. The cops use the key map numbers, but not really key maps. I'm pretty sure they have all the map stuff on their in car computers.

The calendar is a spiral bound flip calendar.

The contacts app is a Rolodex. Has anyone seen one of those in the last couple years? I used to have one that I didn't use. this is what set me off on this post. I heard the term Rolodex in one of those old time radio shows I listen to. They had locked up their Rolodex and they had to break in to a desk to retrieve it.

Surely there are a bunch more icons out there that could use a face lift. I remember someone saying the hands in the handshake icon for the network connections should have had gloves on. That was a while ago.

No comments: