It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2011-02-18

Video editing

I attempted to video the ride in yesterday morning on the bus for a time lapse. Failed.

The trouble was mounting. I stuck the camera to my backpack and left it recording out the window. Even though I tried to keep still, the bus was just doesn't have a good mount point that will not also make the camera stick out so much that it would draw attention to it. I'm not videoing any one on the bus, though, I don't think there is an expectation of privacy on the bus. Metro is videoing you.

There is a problem with the webm video codec tool in melt (the command) or MLT (the library) that causes the operation of speeding up a video in a form that basically turns it in to a time lapse to crater the system. The process jumps to 100% memory usage and the processors just sit there without getting much done. This action is reffed to as a memory leak. I bet it is a simple fix. I have only found some hints of an issue online in some KDENLive forums. I worry that I'm the only one running across the issue.

Something that came out of this that was pretty cool was the music. I went to one of my favorite sites these days for doing video, FreePD and listened to some really good free music. They will let me use this on my videos. There are other sites that do the same thing, but the names are not so memorable.

The video that went up last night was Elle doing the dishes. I really enjoyed making it. It was easy to edit. I enjoy editing video when it is something simple, yet I learn things. One of these days I'm going to attempt a blue/green screen type effect. It is looking increasingly simple to perform. I just need a background to practice with.

Now, if only I had some good easy ideas for shooting videos. It turns out that is the difficult bit. That is the difficult bit for the blog as well as the vlog. Content. That is the magic word. That is what keeps people coming back when it is good and what runs them off when it is something they don't like. This weekend is to be clear and warm. I need to get out there and just get some footage.

No comments: