It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2009-10-09

Tough Phones

Last night I was hitting YouTube looking at videos of tough phones. I do not have one. Some look like they were built by Tonka. If they were, I would trust them further. Alas.Most of the 'tests' didn't put the phones through real world paces. In my book the real test is throwing it in the washing machine and seeing if it survives. The only video I found of someone doing this killed the phone.

Someone mentioned a while back that there are police radios that are highly indestructible. They are military spec design with civilian frequencies. I don't know if HPD or any other locals use the radios. I remember a conversation on the scanner years ago that mentioned the radios they had then were $2400 each. Ouch.

Most of the phones I noticed were basically rain proof and could put up with being dropped. Better than 95% of the junk available on the U. S. market in my opinion.  The iPhone goes down in high humidity I've read. No one I know has had this kind of issue. Not good in Houston. My G1 has shut itself off once I believe because the humidity was something like 115%.

The phone would still have to be a smart phone. There are hardened laptops so I know it can be done. Watches have gone off the deep end with durability. It is a matter of scale and demand. Some of these phones had GPS, compass and texting. It would be nice to have a phone I could use in a real emergency, like a hurricane. You know, in the rain.

No comments: