It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2009-10-15

GDocs download

I looked for software to download Google Docs last night. I want to make a backup on my computer. I heard there is an effort from Google to do this. I found several packages that allow you to do this for Windows. When it came to Mac and Linux, I found basically two projects. One is a GUI that I couldn't get to run because of some mysterious dependency. The other is a shit python script that has deprecated modules. I'm not going to link to them because I could not get anything to work.

Google has put out an API (Application Programming Interface). This is useless to me because I do not want to write a program to download my own documents. I want to click next five times and it just works.

Now, I've witnessed this sort of thing happen in the past. The API, 1.0, comes out and a couple real shit applications turn up. These are just the first bits out of the box. the API is not complete, or perhaps unusable. By the time you get to API 1.4 or 2.0, things start getting handy and usable. I'll give it a couple months before i really start complaining.

However, until this problem is fixed in a meaningful way and things like date formats and local private templates are handled, I cannot recommend using Google Docs at a professional level. Until we get some enterprise level performance, Google Docs is a handy web toy for private users.

No comments: