It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2009-02-04

Very Local News

  • I have a pare of jeans with no watch pocket. I never thought I would use a watch pocket for anything, but I use it for a very essential piece of equipment at work. My USB key drive. Please keep putting watch pockets on jeans.
  • I had a genuine lock up in Linux today at work. I mean, a real Windows like freeze. I'm trying to think if the last time this happened on Linux. Normally it is one application, or the system runs funny or the network dies and things can't authenticate, so you cant get anything done or some external influence. I had the following open.
    • Thunderbird
    • Firefox
    • OpenOffice write and calc
    • xmms
    • Several Gnome terminals, with nothing running
    • I had just started a podcast
    • I had just plugged in my USB key. Auto run is disabled.
  • Good enough computing. Companies and people want computers that do the same thing for half the price every 18 months. This is the flip side of More's law.
  • Apple filed a patent that makes it look like they will turn the iPhone in to a video conferencing device. Sounds like a plan to me.
  • The premier of Turkey gave the Israeli primeminister an earful at some meeting. It made him a local hero. Turkey has large contracts with Israel. If anything, it gave Israel just a bit more sympathy around the world. Just a smidge anyway.
  • The first 3D commercial displayed during a Super Bowl was in 1989. 3D presentation images, as in movie, have been around since 1922 (or even earlier depending on what you count).

No comments: