It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2009-02-23

Email

When I was using Hotmail a million years ago you were limited to x number of contacts. Yahoo did the same thing unless you paid. I looked at Gmail the other day and I only have like 300 contacts. The old limits were something like 250. Many of those contacts are businesses or family that I sent wedding info to once a long time ago. I have no idea how to keep this stuff updated. That is a service that needs to happen. Well, it is happing with Facebook. If I want someone's address or phone number I look on Facebook first and back check my contact information. I should make a print out of this every year or so, but there is no way to aggregate that data. sounds like a good Facebook application requirement. I should go looking for it. I bet someone has already written one.

I find myself only using my email account for bills and for keeping people's email addresses which I use to find them on places like Facebook.Now, I find myself going the other way round. Most people do not have their email exposed on Facebook so you cannot pull that information back in to your contact list in Gmail or wherever.

it is funny to me that the email address has become the unique identifier for the internet. yes, it seems to be working so far, but people have to change their email for all kinds of reasons. This causes a ripple effect and loss of contact to companies and people. I mean, keeping track of what email address and password you have used is very important to keep your bills straight. If you loose your email because your provider felt like making you change, you are just plane out of luck. That and people like Nat have nine different email addresses. This is good for covering your bets, but makes it a pain to find you on Facebook.

No comments: