It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2009-01-17

Video Editing on Fedora Linux


Well, not editing video on Fedora Linux. I can't get the windows software to work under Wine either. No one has on the internet that I can find. I'm at an end.

I knew Cinelerra would not work. it has the same trouble the other software had. That is, the sound is off from the movie after editing. Even when I follow the example line by line of someone who knows what they are doing, I get bad results. This makes me think there is a bad library involved. It is deeper than bad settings. My choices for export are check for check and still, nothing.

This means, I cannot edit video on my system. I'm going to create a Ubuntu virtual machine and try to edit a simple video. Find out if that works. If so, I may give up on Fedora completely and make a more permanent switch to Ubuntu for all my home Linux needs.

When this fails as well, I will ask Nat if I can barrow her computer just long enough to edit a video and find out if the software that came with the device works. I'm confident that this will work.

When I play videos straight off the device, they play fine. Well, they play fine when I tell my machine to shut up and get on with it. The problem lies with my machine and my limited knowledge of all things video. As these things go, I figure it will take me about eighteen months from first attempt to get video editing to work as I planned. This is about the normal period for me to really get something to work in Linux. Sad, but true.

When none of this works, I'll buy a Mac. (not)

No comments: