It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2009-01-02

Figured the damn video thing out

For a minute there, I thought I might have to give up. Then, I read the instructions. I finally got the following very helpful error message.



           ************************************************
           **** Your system is too SLOW to play this!  ****
           ************************************************

Possible reasons, problems, workarounds:
- Most common: broken/buggy _audio_ driver
  - Try -ao sdl or use the OSS emulation of ALSA.
  - Experiment with different values for -autosync, 30 is a good start.
- Slow video output
  - Try a different -vo driver (-vo help for a list) or try -framedrop!
- Slow CPU
  - Don't try to play a big DVD/DivX on a slow CPU! Try some of the lavdopts,
    e.g. -vfm ffmpeg -lavdopts lowres=1:fast:skiploopfilter=all.

- Broken file
  - Try various combinations of -nobps -ni -forceidx -mc 0.
- Slow media (NFS/SMB mounts, DVD, VCD etc)
  - Try -cache 8192.
- Are you using -cache to play a non-interleaved AVI file?
  - Try -nocache.
Read DOCS/HTML/en/video.html for tuning/speedup tips.
If none of this helps you, read DOCS/HTML/en/bugreports.html.

A:  16.6 V:  16.6 A-V: -0.002 ct: -0.007   0/  0 55% 10%  0.9% 147 0                                                                
Exiting... (Quit)

Don't sugar coat it or anything. Just come right out and tell me my computer is slow. I can take it. The highlighted one is the one that worked.

This fixes the player. The editor will not play full speed. Hopefully I can get around that by creatively editing things. I'll just have to be on my toes when it comes to snipping. I may have to get one of those clicker things that tell me what scene I'm on. That would be funny. Using a half pound camera and a five pound snapper-thing.

The highlighted setting above causes the start of the video to stumble.The player catches up and the rest of the video is in sync. The first five seconds or so is a bit haywire.  I can live with that.

So, expect a video blog, right. No. I'm not nearly that industrious. Expect a couple videos now and again, when I get round to it. For some reason I want to video my commute to and front work. I might do that. Then they will come trickling in.

No comments: