It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2009-01-01

Evening's Entertainment

I got a Flip Mino HD for Christmas.

I took a sample video. I plugged the thing in to my Fedora 10 box. It comes right up and I pull the video files straight off. The sound is off in MPlayer. The sound is off everywhere. I use Kino. I use avidemux.Cinnelara doesn't exist. Kino ran for two hours trying to convert the video to a useless format. avidemux made the sound problem worse.

I'll use a virtual machine and run their software. That will show them. Luckally I have a proper copy of Vista to use. Lets give it a shot.

Installing a virtual Vista machine is annoying. The host box is Linux of course. The guest is Vista. I install Vista. No big deal. I try to get a couple files over to the virtual box and realize there is no network adapter. I go look up the problem and figure out the default NIC won't work. I have to make a new VM and start over. No big deal. I get to the same point next time and the shared folders crap doesn't work. I cannot mount my thumb drive. I only told the VM to have one hard drive so I cannot even mount a folder.  I finally copy the files to my Samba server and copy them back to the virtual box. I hate it when nothing works properly.

I learned that VMWare Player 2.5.1 dies if you click on one of the menus and then click off the menu on the open space in the menu bar. Something new every five minutes.

Right now Windows is running through updates. The 20G drive is not going to be enough for even that. There is no such thing as a minimal Windows install. I haven't even had a chance to plug the Mino in and I've been working on this for hours. I hate proprietary crap.

No comments: