It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2008-02-27

AMD vs Intel

In Linux when you use a command called uname to get some information about the system. It turns out there is a difference between the exact same OS installed on a genuine 32 bit system and a 64 bit system with a 32 bit OS. At least, there is a difference when using kernel code to build a driver.

When you uname -p and see i686 or athlon, the kernel build will make a difference. Pretty much the same thing occurs for 64 bit AMD vs 64 bit Intel processors.

This is not that big a deal because I've been working in this area for over two years and it just became an issue today.

Now, when I figured this all out, It upset me. I thought to myself, I feel like smacking someone. The only person that came to mind, in an automatic not even thinking about it way, was Bill Gates. This issue pretty much has nothing to do with Bill Gates. This one might just actually not be his fault. Still, no other faces came to mind ripe for getting smacked.

So, who to smack? ... ... Linus Torvalds, No. The kernel team has to build the kernel to run the best on different systems. So it must be Intel and AMD. No. They are just competing with one another and cannot step on each other's patents. Patents are intellectual property. So, RIAA. ...

Yes!! RIAA <SMACK!!!>

No comments: