It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2006-10-10

Summer School
For some reason I've had some memories pop into my head today about a Summer School class I took many moons ago. I took ti to get the credit out of the way. I needed to make up Algebra II on my schedule and this was the only way fit all of it in without killing myself.
it was not quite a blow off class. I had to pay attention and actually learned a bit. It was Government and Economics. One semester each.
There were two conversations that I specifically remember. Both involved a dumb blond who just had no worldly experience and didn't read on a regular basis.
1) We were covering the different stock and bond markets. The teacher mentioned that U. S. bonds were one of the most reliable if not the most reliable domestic investment you can get. That is why their yield is low. The blond spoke up and asked "What is the deal with U. S. bonds? They can fail too right." The teacher replied "If U. S. bonds don't pay off, you have a lot more to worry about than the stock market." The blond didn't get it. We had to explain that by the time U. S. bonds are failing, the entire economy of the U. S. will be in the toilet. She never did get the concept of the government being that important to the economy.
2) The discussion was on relations with the Middle East. They have oil and we want the oil. Thus, conflict. The subject of etiquette came up and the fact that one should not eat from a common try with the left hand in the Middle East came up. The blond asked "Why in the world would that be a problem?" The teacher responded "Would someone fill her in pleas." The teacher went on with the discussion and a few moments later your hear from the same girl "Nuh-uh. That can't be right." The teacher without having heard what was said replied "Yes, that is what happens."

No comments: