It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2006-08-23

Over Heard
I over heard something very mundane and yet interesting at one of the parties this weekend. Someone quite young mentioned that the downloaded song they enjoyed had a few minor bleeps and clicks in it. This was a song that would never be heard on the radio apparently because they said that when they listened to it from a friend's MP3 collection, the bleeps and clicks were in different spots. This kind of thing happens with downloaded music from time to time. The person said it just wasn't the same song. The flaws gave the song character. The flaws made it their version of the song. I'm not so sure. It seems the bleeps and clicks come about when the MP3 is made, so any one who downloaded that self same file would most likely have the same bleeps and clicks. That is beside the point here.
I nearly fell over. I've heard the exact same words said when I was this person's age about CD verses vinyl. I mean the exact same conversation. it kind of creeped me out. I felt so very old. I've rounded the generational curve. Yes, I owned a record (vinyl) player once. I had a collection of my parent's old 45s (not pistols) to listen too. I don't even know where to look for a record player beside eBay. Someone probably still makes them.

No comments: