It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2006-08-15

Day
It was a busy day at work. It was nuts. It was just one thing after another. Just about normal. The only creative thing I got done was changing the default theme for one of our test accounts. They had one of these stupid round edged fades all over the place themes that was slow as Christmas on some of the shittier servers. I changed to one called "simple" that boasts that it is built for speed. I've have only heard one comment for the positive so far.
I got home and my brother in law came over to help fix some broken boards on the fence. He basically did all the work. Our fence is in one bit crumbly piece. I don't know where the builder found the wood in the fences in this neighborhood, but it mast have taken effort to get seeder that brittle and chocked full of knot-holes.

Dog

Cowboy Bebop dog

Nat got a dog. Her name is Molly. She is cute. She is a long haired black dog that is close to the ground. She is going to be miserable in this climate. She reminds me of the dog on Cowboy Bebop. I'll post a picture as soon as i get the new server up.

New Computer
Things are coming along nicely. I bet by tomorrow I'll have the system set up so that my web page will come from the new computer. Right now I'm in transition. I forgot how slowly things transfer from one computer to another over a 100mb line. I ended up using smb shares because I cannot figure out the privileges for nfs to save my life. This computer will have P2P tasks on top of running my web page. That is a tall order.
I had to get aMule set up for accepting links from Firefox. It is harder than it sounds. It is like editing the registry entries in Windows. Oh, wait. That is exactly what it is like.
Remember all the trouble I had getting VNC up and running? Well, I'm just going to put the KVM on both computers. I will only need to use VNC occasionally if things work out. There is a real problem with using VNC on Linux. When you use VNC, it starts X which is the windows program. That means you start up a whole new desktop. Everything you run while under that VNC session is a slave to that one VNC process. If the connection crashes you loose all the subprocesses. In other words, if I start aMule downloading some files in a VNC connection and anything happens to that VNC instance, aMule and any other programs I had running all go away. The KVM is a much better plan for this situation.
I'll keep every one posted.

Elle's Computer
Nat has been watching those nanny shows where some expert comes in and shows people with wild kids how to be proper parents.  Elle is scatter-brained. She is three. It is to be expected. She cannot focus on anything that does not meow or bark for more than seven seconds. This drives Nat, Elle's teachers, and myself nuts. One of the things Nat has held over Elle's head is her computer. This is OK because I do not have it ready anyway. Hopefully I'll have it up and running in a couple of days.

No comments: