It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2006-07-24

What's in a name?
My first name is Kelly. My father named me this after a buddy of his in the army. I hated the name growing up because it was a girl's name. I went by my middle name which is Michael. Actually, it is Micheal as spelled on my birth certificate. My grandfather misspelled my father's name accidentally as Micheal and my father deliberately misspelled it on my papers.
By the time I got out of high school I realized there are a billion Mikes in the U. S. so I decided that when I got to college I would introduce myself as Kelly. The first guy I ran in to on my floor of the dorm was a flaming homosexual named (wait for it) Kelly. I said "hi, I'm Mike."
My father used the name Hawkeye as a CB handle when I was a very small child in the seventies. Some kid in middle school called me Hawkeye as a cruel joke. The name stuck. Ask Marble about my shooting skills. Maybe the name is apt.
I was called Yellow for a while because I wore yellow tinted sunglasses. Once I found a good eye doctor, that was not a problem any more.
Kelly means warier.
Michael means godlike.
My last name means army scout.
Hawkeye is a name given to good shots.
Yellow was for the shooter's yellow sunglasses I wore at one time.
hmmmm.
I missed my calling.

2 comments:

AnnaBanana said...

I think of Kelly as an androgenous (sp?) name.

Be glad your name isn't Kim. I have a guy-friend named that. Poor thing. In high school he went by his middle name - Evans. Not Evan, but Evans. Now most people call him Kim, which is kind of a good thing since his live-in girlfriend's name is Evelyn. Evans & Evelyn just isn't right. But Evelyn may prefer that since when friends/relatives/strangers hear she's in a relationship with Kim they think she's a lesbian.

Be glad you're Kelly!

Celtic Gypsy said...

Twof my friends (which are sister & brother) are named Ronni (the sister) and Kim (the brother). I have a male friend named Dana and one named Lesley.
I go by Nat. There have been a couple of times when Kelly and I have been introduced as Kelly and Nat, and the new people think that I am Kelly and he is Nat. (I guess they think Nat is short for Nathan or Nathaniel.) I think it is funny. Just think how bad it would be if I still went by Alex. (My middle name is Alexandra.) What is really funny is when someone thinks that I am Mrs. Kelly, because I am Kelly. But it comes in handy when they want Kelly's okay on something and I give it. They never tell me that I need my husband to call them. (The light electric company and phone company are the worst at this. However, I don't have to bug my husband at work over them now.)