It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2006-07-07

Ubuntu Deja Voe
I'm really thinking of going back to Ubuntu. I have had nothing but fits trying to get things to work in Fedora. I've heard of Mac users converting to Ubuntu and liking it. I have to tell you, it is a stable system. Yum sucks. I know they say the dependency checking is better than in apt-get, but all I get are problems. I've had to bail my computer out of holes where yum update stopped working because of one stupid file that was there, but the system thought was missing. Don't tell me about better dependency support when the dependency checks bring the system to it's knees.
At first I cared because I use Red-Hat products at work. I've noticed that I do not use the same intensity of hacking at home. I use the command line almost exclusively at work. I use the GUI far more at home. That is just the way it has worked out.
Ubuntu allowed much better video editing. I was able to convert video formats much easier under Ubuntu. I just liked the set up better anyway. Ubuntu was designed with the users actually in the thought process. Fedora and Red-Hat are set up for developers who hate GUI s in the first place.
One thing that worries me about Ubuntu is the lack of an American partner. I know it has been put together on the Debain platform. I know the main person behind Ubuntu is some nut-job from South Africa who's motivations I do not know. I read somewhere that he hasn't come out and said why he has spent so much money on the Ubuntu project. That means, he may change his mind. I'm starting to think "so what." If he drops Ubuntu, I'll switch to some other distribution. I mean, come on. That is why we have competition, right?

No comments: