It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2006-07-08

Notebook
Why do I want a notebook? I don't really have a use for one. One big trouble with notebook computers these days is they want too much money for them. It never fails. I remember when you could pay $1000 for a cheap computer and $2000 for a cheap notebook. Now, the prices have dropped a bit.
Here is one example of a crappy deal. They want $300 for this POS. I would not give them the time of day for that machine.
They do have some fare deals on that site, but they do not sell Linux notebooks. I read a story several years ago about a guy who visited South Korea on business. He found Linux notebooks for sale on the street. They were right beside pirated Windows boxes. I doubt much has changed. I can buy barebones desktops at a couple of different places. I've heard of people getting barebone notebooks. I've never done it myself. Notebooks are far more touchy on hardware compatibility. You are far more likely to get driver conflicts on a laptop.
A Google search reveals one place that looks promising. System 76 even uses Ubuntu.
I want one. I want one. I WANT ONE! GIMMY!
I'm so broke my wallet should be in a cast. I have a mortgage and a family to worry about.

No comments: