It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2006-01-02

WiFi
What a difference two years can make.

Notebooks everywhere
I just walked past a conference room. There were fifteen people in there with at least ten notebook computers. Every notebook had a separate network cable. There were two hubs and a switch. My company has a paranoid view of wireless. I'm thinking one wireless router would have eliminated fifteen cables and obvious hazards. They wouldn't have spent twenty minutes setting up all the wires and wasted tape taping them to the carpet. The policy is just plain no. Oh, well. I suppose it is for the best.

For the moment the answer is still no. However, they are at least doing some research into productivity changes and WiFi usefulness. There is a test WiFi hub on my floor. I cannot use it because A) I do not remove my notebook from the lock unless I cannot function otherwise. B) I am a contractor and thus, a second class employee who is undeserving of mobility. C) There is only one hub so I couldn't get very far. Some day they will get it. Some day they will not have a choice in the matter. As in 10/base-T vs 100/base-T they will be forced to upgrade. They tried to implement a VOIP system on a 10/base-T network with a 5 megabit half duplex connection to the internet. It didn't work.

No comments: