It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2005-01-18

Office Move
It's funny what breaks when you move offices. I have a 100 base T network connection in my old office. They only put it in because of a particular project. They were supposed to get VoIP a million years ago, but that all fell through. I could have told them it wasn't going to work because the network here, to be honest, is sub-par. The network just can't handle what is already there, much less the ton or two of additional traffic VoIP would bring along. Anyway, I use two computers in my job. One for a normal workstation and the other to test software with as I play with the installs. It's amazing how easy it is to destroy a computer with even the simplest install, or especially, the uninstall. That test machine gets restaged daily. That means, it is over-written with the fresh image of the drive that contains only the day-one stuff. This makes it easy to take chances and try out things you think just might render the machine permanently useless.
The new office only has one half duplex, 10 base-T network connection. I don't care, I'm paid by the hour. Either get me another connection or get me a switch. A friend of mine reminds me in email "You don't want a hub, you want a switch. They are faster and don't cause clashes like a hub." Then I remind him about the robust infrastructure here and he says "Ha!  I forgot all about half-duplex networks.  Man, the dark ages were
only a couple of years ago from that perspective.  :-)" Yes, dark ages. Worry not, the loss in productivity is more than made up for by the fortune this company pays in support to keep those legacy systems up and running.
"I'm paid by the hour." I remind myself.
"I'm paid by the hour." I remind myself again.
There are 50,000 or more nodes on this network. This company used to be the first to apply helpful technologies like networking. There was a day when this company shined as a house of efficiency and innovation. That is what the old-timers tell me anyway. Now, all I hear is people quoting next week's Dilbert, or subconsciously reenacting scenes from Office Space again and again.
Help me God. Guide me to a better way, then, repeatedly, kick me in the ass until I follow it.

1 comment:

CyndyMW said...

You've managed to sum up my thoughts pretty succinctly. Except one: Pay me REAL money, not the damned leftover gift cards for mexican food at the end of the week. I have friends who have jobs too, except they go to work and come home with paychecks - enough of a paycheck to buy things, or pay for rent. But I'm not bitter. I just need to call this a learning experience in the importance of negotiation. I need to take a page from the Roger Clemens playbook and ask for $22 million.