It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2005-03-19

Overtime
Overtime has become a dirty word in corporate America. I know the company I work for has only one response when the word overtime is used. That word is "no". They give impossible deadlines and tell managers they cannot higher any one new. Then say absolutely no overtime.
I have a buddy who is an independent contractor for construction of commercial buildings. He says the people issuing the contracts these days say they will simply not pay any over time hours. Not just the overtime part, the whole hour listed as overtime. The issuers don't care that the deadline requires a seven day a week crew to complete in time. They don't care that the contractor is required by law to pay overtime. They say, "We will not pay for overtime hours, sue us." He says they are serious about "Sue us." They would rather pay ten times the amount on lawyers than the time on the bill.
I have not worked an overtime hour in two years. My responsibilities have doubled in about that period. There are less people in our department that are dedicated to standard operations. It is getting bad. How are so many Americans finding jobs? Every one I talk too who has been in the work force for more than ten years says they do more things now than ever before. There are less mangers managing more people. Everything is getting outsourced and yet, unemployment is low. I don't get it. Where are all the other people working?
Then I read blogs where people complain about how board they are at work. "I started this blog so I wouldn't fall asleep at my desk at work." Bastards. I hear-by declare that I work my ass off at work. I prefer it that way. As long as I receive proper compensation and I'm not expected to kill myself, or ignore my family for work, I'm more ore less happy.

Weekend
Speaking of overtime, I have two computers to fix this weekend. Robin, an old friend from my CB days (Bratt) has a slow crashing machine that needs some attendance. Tomorrow, I set up my parent's new wireless router and laptop. I'm getting some meals out of the deal. I'm on call 24/7 these days. Oh, well. At least I'm good for something.
So, I wake up this morning. I get an email from my mother (tomorrow's appointment) and she says I can come over today If I want. Then I call Robin (todays appointment) and she says she is on her way to a bartender meeting and will call me back in thirty minutes. Then I call my mom to get logistics straight. She tells me they are on their way out for the day. Robin calls back and says she has to take care of some business after the meeting and I may want to cancel until tomorrow. [stop and think} If I try calling every body and canceling, all kins of breakage will happen. I've learned it is better to cancel and completely reschedule in free time rather than trying to switch two appointments. This is strictly my thing. I cannot push this strategy on any one else. I'm sure there are those out there who can manipulate like a champ. Not me. [done thinking} "Lets try ding this today Robin. I have the parent's machine to fix tomorrow."

Color Schemes
All the electronics these days are in this silver or brushed stainless look. I like the dark gray or black from the eighties or early nineties. Some phones have freaky color covers that you can get. My old phone I bout a very conservative gray cover. My new phone has a black version in Korea that I saw on one of the pages. Mine is silver. The Dell laptop is silver. Most of the new  computers at Dell are gray with silver bits. I have to say, I prefer the non-beige computer cases. I just plane got burned out on those.

The Latest Gadget
People keep asking why they stagger the sales of new game machines all over the world. It starts in Japan, goes to the U. S. then makes it around to Europe. Well, these things typically sell really well on the opening month. Then sales slow a bit. Then a bit more. Pretty soon you have a surplus. Sony and all the other manufacturers know this all too well. They start in one country and just as that curve flips over in sales, they open up in another area. Otherwise, they would run out and people would bitch even louder. Then, no sooner would they ramp up production, than the next gadget comes along and steels their cloths.

No comments: