It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2005-03-04

Martha Stewart
There was a headline on Google news that read "Can Martha Stewart Turn Her Businesses Around?" Now, why would she want to do that? Her stocks are through the roof. It appears to me the people who watched her before have forgiven her and many other people respect her more now that she has been convicted of grownup business offense and done a stint in the joint.
She has some beautiful horses on her ranch. There were some pictures on the news pages.
(maybe I spoke too soon)

Day
I walked from the bus stop int to work this morning like I do nearly every morning. Like I have for years now. The place I walk is through a neighborhood. The sidewalks are dangerous. The ground in Houston is mobile and the sidewalks are lumpy and full of potholes. It is the highlight of my day. I get to listen to the news or my MP3s while walking down a dark residential street. There are street lights, but they suck. This is the same street where the paper guy hit me. I've learned to avoid his lackadaisical approach to driving.
When I walked in this morning my boss was already in. Well, one of my bosses. He works off site most often. I sit down and get to work in my office. By the time lunch roles around, the day has warmed to a very nice sunny spring feel. I ate outside behind the office. The pick nick tables are just about to give out in the far back. The only other place to sit down is right in the line of traffic to and from the office. The tables in the back are out of the way and quiet. A great way to spend a few minutes before hitting it again.
Toward the end of the day I was expecting an email from a vendor that contained information to download and install some software. I caught myself hoping that beep was not the email. I was out of gas by the end of the day. It wasn't even all that eventful. There should be a different set of rules for Fridays.
A buddy gave me a ride home just for the heck of it.

DnD
We play again tomorrow. We are going to use the same set of characters. That should save some time. there will be several people missing from this group. There is a combination of politics and poor timing affecting our group. I'll try to write something creative Sunday regarding the adventure.

Chair
My computer chair broke at home. I got a new one. It is a piece of crap from Office Depot. I thought I was getting a bargain, but it turns out not to be worth the money I paid. The very first set of instructions says insert the pole part of the chair (the spine support) into the back (cushion) part. Then screw this knob into the slot provided. Wait a minute. There is nothing to screw the bolt into. The slot is not threaded. The slot is too wide for the bolt to grab. Everything else is plastic. Well, the back support cushion is just sitting on the post right now. I'm going over to my father's shop and "fixing" this brand new chair Sunday. I mean, come on. Why do I have to fix a brand new item. Well, it is built in China. They hate Americans. I am going to have to find a nut to fit the bolt that sticks out of the knob. I'm then going to have to drill a hole in the back of the support so the bolt will go all the way through. Then, bolt all three pieces together. I hope I remember to remove the post from the bottom of the chair before attempting this mess.
So, Why don't I take it back to Office Depot and tell them to shove it? There are no better choices of chair there than the one I got. The only chair there that I like is $230. My father said "Why don't you just bite the bullet and get an expensive chair that you like. You spend enough time in front of the computer to justify it." You know, he has a point. Where did I put that receipt?

Future Prosthetics
The exoskeletons of Ghost in the Shell vs those of Gundam Wing makes for a difference in more than which show you like. They take slightly different philosophies on the same theme.
In Gundam Wing the bodies used to fight and adventure are true exoskeletons. They wrap around the existing human body. This is great if you are pretty much healthy already.
Ghost in the shell takes the approach of replacing the existing human body with a replica made of technology. Some look like human bodies and some do not. The main character (I cannot remember her name) had a disease as a child and has had several bodies over the years as she matured.
The difference between these two approaches is both obvious and subtle. The obvious difference, I've just explained. The more subtle difference is the attitude of the writers who created the fictitious worlds. One writer subconsciously likes their existing body. The other either doesn't like their body, or has issues with loosing health or aging. I tend to lean toward the Ghost in the Shell model. My reasoning is clear to those who know me. I have poor vision. I would love to take on a replacement body. One that did not get fat or go blind. They constantly gripe about the high maintenance costs in Ghost in the Shell. It's always something.
What brought this up in my head was a friend asking me about my weekend. Dig this progression.
She tells me about her weekend.
I tell her about my weekend.
She makes a comment on how busy I am. Normally I have nothing going on. This weekend is basically full. Full for me anyway.
I say to her "I'm evolving".
She cracks back that by the time I'm on Medicaid I will be a party animal.
I answer back that I will finally have time to party by them.
She mentions seeing an EZ-cruiser (wheel chair) on the way back from lunch and thought it was pretty cool.
I said "By the time I get that old they will have some sort of iPod/Segway/Gundam Wing contraption for me to run around in."
How is that for a progression?

No comments: