It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2003-04-04

MySQL
So, I have a RedHat Linux box. I install MySQL to play with. I have a book called MySQL Cookbook. The first thing it asks you to do is log in to MySQL server as root and set up a real user account. I get an error. I have to hit Google and look for a fix. Well, the error means the MySQL service (aka demon) is not running properly. I got to services and sure enough it isn't running. I attempt to start it and get a very polite, verbose, descriptive and accurate error message telling me exactly what the trouble is. Something in the host file is messed up. I go look at the host file and I have some trouble figure out the syntax. I spend 30 minutes trying different combinations of guesses and attempting to look up in my plethora of books on the subject and draw a blank. Three minutes on Google and I have an example and a description on editing the host file.
What did people do before Google? Google is amazing.

No comments: