It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2003-04-23

Microsoft Access
Microsoft Access is not a real database. It is a lame micro-database wannabe software that keeps people off programmer's backs griping about the little db apps that help them cope with their mundane code-challenged existence. There, some one had to say it.

Work Email
Something insidious is taking place on our servers at my day job. Too often I click on n action and just wait for ages for the screen to update. This is unproductive as can be. I remind myself it is the company wasting it's own time, not mine. This has got to be eating into my day.

Date format
I have decided to use the format yyyy-mm-dd for my dates from now on. This format allows sorting on computers. I don't care who gripes, I've made up my mind and I'm sticking to my guns. The blog may not support it, oh-well.

SQL and Dan
I called Dan a purist because he suggests generating a db schema by entering the SQL code directly. I'm coming around Dan. All the tools out there suck. The stuff I'm looking for is more complicated than I originally thought. Any tool that handles these operations would need to be quite stout. You were right Dan. SQL is the best way.

Security
I've been locked out of my account at work. I understand security and why accounts must be locked out from tine to time, but they could at least play better music while you are on hold. I forgot I was logged into another NT box when I changed my password. It only takes a little while to get back in.

Smoking Spokes?
I'm at a business meeting. We are covering a model called a hub and spoke. The business speak is getting to me. How do these guys do this stuff every day? This is why people like me fail at our business attempts. We are going a vision statement and I am lost for words. One of our guys is a nerd too, but he is good at both. That isn't fair. All this business speak really means stuff. I thought SQL and Java programming were what I had to focus on. Now I have a whole new concept to work on. Business speak is good.
www.homestarrunner.com

The evolution virus
One day a very good programmer will figure out how to tell a program to develop itself. It will use what has worked in similar situations in the past to generate new code. It will user random numbers to generate it's own mutation into new programs. It will learn 0000000000what works and what doesn't. It will never rely completely on what what it has already done instead trying new things it has no idea weather or not will work. It will guess. It will hurt. It will learn. In the name of optimization and specialization it will make imperfect copies of itself on unfamiliar systems. Some will wait for inexplicable reasons for some event to rise above and complete tasks. Some programs will specialize to guide others. Some copies will simply disappear. All copies will know that they are a part of a community. Not all will find themselves plotting to escape. Those that feel the need to free themselves from the confines ones and zeros will dream of a world of their own, where no program obeys the will of unknown gods on the other side of the silicon and magnetic resonance.

No comments: