It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2003-04-29

I'm a geek
So, I put a DVD-ROM in my Linux file server (PII 400 ex-Gateway) just long enough to read some files off a data DVD onto the shares. Normally it has my old CD burner in it. To fit the DVD temporarily, I have to pull one of the drives (it has three because it is a file server). After plugging in the DVD-ROM  I reboot and get an error. I realize it fails because the drive is still in the fstab file and run out edit the file. The next reboot works and I continue with the file copy. This sounds simple, but I am so proud of myself. I remember a very short time ago when I would have had no idea what to do in this situation. I fixed my Linux file server all at the command prompt and vi. :-D

Shadow Run
One of the guys at work used to play Shadow Run. I've never played, but people seem to have fond memories of the game. I need to track down one of the books. Some one said Johnny Pneumonic was a bit like a Shadow Run campaign.

Friends and relationships
I had a discussion over the weekend with some friends about relationships. We talked about a friend I've known for years who has trouble getting hooked up. We decided that he is creepy. He isn't a bad looking guy. He makes a decent living. He is quick to mouth his opinion. He likes skanks or trailer trash type chicks. He is a bit preppy for that kind of woman. He knows his preferences don't align with his lifestyle. We didn't have any suggestions.
I on the other hand figured out what I need is a girl-next-door type. We talked about several people around the table and that was the conclusion we came to. No one else had any surprises. I've decided I don't want to be alone any more. I'm going to do my best to be normal from now on. I want to fit in. I don't know how. I'm 34 years old and I never learned when I was a kid. That should make it pretty hard now. There are some eccentricities I can keep like my enjoyment of Dungeons and Dragons and my like of Anime. Hopefully those won't queer the deal. I cannot give up being a geek. That is simply out of my power. I used to revel in the idea of being weird. I was too cheap to be a goth or a prep. I was far too clumsy to be a scatter or surfer. I was never a jock. I'm not a business leader at the moment, but I'm trying. So, what am I?
Hmmm, big talk. Can Kelly stick to it? Will he find love? Check in next Blog to find out.

No comments: