It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2013-12-05

IT conversation

Them - I need a bunch of people to have access to these files.

Me - Great, who are they?

Them - I don’t know yet.

Me - Let me know when you do.

Them - I need it to happen right now.

Me - I can make the files available to everyone who has access to the system.

Them - No, that wouldn’t be secure.

Me - ... [no further argument offered]

Them - I’ll see what I can do.

Me - (not uttered aloud) I know what I can and can’t do in this situation.

I’ve had this conversation with maybe 5 different people in my career. Access vs security is literally an afterthought to people who have not worked in the IT or development fields I think. Normal people just don’t consider it until they are confronted with the dilemma above.

No comments: