It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2011-05-21

What's next?

Field Data
Title First music, then THE COSMOS!!! (rant)
Description Subtitle: Where will it end?
Free music for YouTube. Well, not so free.
http://www.incompetech.com (there is no music on this YouTube video)
Tags royalties royalty free music youtube video rant mcdonald's canon elph 300 houston texas
Link Link

Something really cool is going on. There is a guy www.incometech.com who is very good at making music. He has put many of these up on the net and has instructions with how to properly site what you use. Now, if you use his stuff, it gets caught by YouTube and one of his ads goes up on your video. If you are a partner and monetize your own videos, you can get an exemption. As far as putting up music and such goes, this is awesome. It does, however, make me wonder just where it will end.

  • If I happen to pan my video past a McDonald's, will McDonald's get a slice of the pie?
  • Will the software company who makes the editing software want a cut?
  • Will the camera manufacturer want their percentage?
  • I used electricity in the process, do I need to send the power company a check?
  • My ISP charges me twice for the video already because I have to upload it and then test it at least once to make sure it worked. I pay for bandwidth now. It is not unlimited. That is a double billing right there.
  • Is every face that accidentally passes the lens going to have the right to sue?

You get the idea. I'm not kidding. If I walk down the street and video a couple signs and someone drives by with music playing loud enough for me to pick up, I'm screwed. I'm not even talking about me making money on the videos. The videos I put up now are not monetized by me. The ads you see are from the music people. Pretty soon, every logo that happens past the screen will want a slice of the pie. They do not realize that there is not enough pie to go around.

At some point we are going to have to shoot the videos around the frigging ads. I am already concerned with not using the bottom of the screen because that is where ads pop up.

Off topic. Rolling ads suck. Those are basically commercials that run in front of your video. I want to know how many people, like me, have just hit the back button on a YouTube video because the ad started running and never bothered to watch the video at all. I've done this several times. I bet this stat is not available outside of worried executives at YouTube.

Update: The notes I was reading.

Photobucket

Photobucket

No comments: