It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2007-01-08

A different dispute
This dispute reminds me of all the religious problems in the world. I'm not sure I can draw all the parallels, but here goes.
At work today I over heard a heated debate about how to declare variables in C. The standard method is:
Variable = Value
This is just how it is done. There is some name for this notation. I refuse to learn the name for now. The compiler will accept the following notation in many cases.
Value = Variable
This is unorthodox, but the variable will contain the value provided. There is one advantage to this notation in reality because if the variable is not set up properly, the compiler will give a far easier to trace error.  The lines split along predictable faults. The young hot-dog programmers wanted the new and "improved" method where by the older programmers said stick to the "industry standard" because it makes the code more readable and one day the compiler might not accept that particular method of assignment because it is not written in the standard.
Both are valid arguments. Who do you suppose will win. Well, the only winner here is the rift between the two factions.
This reminds me of the differences between factions inside a given religion. We warship one way because it will attract the faithful to service, No, we warship some other way because it is more orthodox. Catholic <> Protestant, Sunni <> Shia This is what it all boils down to. The people making their arguments have no idea the much larger battle they are fighting.
I would say a prayer "Please God, help us (all of us) get our shit together and stop killing each other over which end of the egg to crack." but I doubt it would do much good. I guess I haven't filled out the correct form.

No comments: