It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2004-12-21

Am I proud of myself!
So, how do you run a script at shutdown in Windows? I've finally tracked down one answer. I broke down and looked it up. Here is the answer. What the heck is Group Policy?
There are so many uses of this information. I've noticed a couple of programs that will remain nameless Real Player that sometimes stick a command in the boot sequence of Windows  every time you run them. I finally got the programs I use to stop it through their own settings, but not all programs are that nice. With this info, I can write a script that physically deletes the registry entries that kick off the offending programs before the machine boots. Just one more tool in the arsenal. I should not be proud of myself. It didn't take very long to look this up. I've been thinking about it for days.
Oh, one thing you can only find out by testing this method is that you must use full paths in your program/script. Apparently, the script runs in a different location than it resides on the system. Relative paths all break.

Asshole!!!!

Authorities said Smathers, who was fired by AOL in June, used another employee's access code to steal the valuable list of AOL's customers in 2003 from its headquarters in Dulles, Va., and sold it to Internet spammers for more than $100,000.
...
Brian McWilliams, a journalist who published "Spam Kings," a new book about e-mail spammers, said AOL subscribers were particularly targeted for unwanted sales pitches because spammers consider them to be Internet newcomers and less sophisticated. He said one well-known spammer, Davis Hawke, compared AOL subscribers to hunted deer.
"An AOL user is like a deer with a red ribbon in its antlers," McWilliams said. "They tend to be newcomers to the Internet, perhaps more naive or gullible, so they're very desired customers. Those guys target a lot of AOL members for that reason."

I really hope they throw the book at this creep.
I remember a news article from over a year ago where a company denied selling emails to spammers. Some group was able to prove the emails were getting out. The CEO denied doing it and was speechless when the group said "Your company may not sanction it, but some one at your company is selling the addresses."
But wait, there's more.

A federal judge on Tuesday refused to accept a guilty plea from a former America Online employee accused of selling the Internet provider's customer list to a "spammer," saying he was unsure a crime had been committed.
...
The judge, who said he once used AOL but quit the provider because of the amount of spam he received, asked prosecutors to submit a legal brief by Jan. 12 with more information.
...
"This is a new statute," the attorney, Jay Goldberg, said. "He is questioning whether the conduct here met the standard of deception."

But, but, but does this mean the bad man goes unpunished?!?

Busted

A juror has ended up behind bars. Rachelle Thomas told a judge in Cincinnati last year that she couldn't serve on a jury because she had to take her son to a doctor's appointment. But she had already filled out a juror's questionnaire and wrote she had no children.
Thomas was sentenced to nine days in jail for contempt, but moved to Nevada. This week she returned to Cincinnati to clear up the matter. She pleaded no contest to the contempt charge. Thomas was ordered to complete her jail sentence, perform 200 hours of community service and pay a $250 fine.

I hear people all the time gripe about having jury duty. My mom walks in with a bible under her arm. Many people have ideas on how to get out of jury duty. Don't lie though. I've played the blind card myself. It worked. I'm afraid to update my license address because I'm registered at my parent's address in Missouri City. I've already received a judge's note to get out of jury duty there. If i update my license to Houston, I'll have to deal with Hares county courts and Houston courts and probably Texas courts all over again.

Gmail Error
Gmail Oops error
I understand the want of Google to be user friendly and leave people feeling like they actually care that there is a problem. I have to say, it gives me a feeling that Gmail is unprofessional. When things are not working, it just pisses me off that they are "making light" of my trouble. I know that is not their intent, but that is the first gut feeling that comes over me.

No comments: