It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2004-01-16

Pole
This is a Slashdot pole from 2004-01-15. I fit all but one of these. (LOTR).
Your Biggest Failure as a Nerd?
Haven't seen LOTR. (I haven't seen the last movie, because I hate going to theaters these days. Until they ban mobiles and twits I'm a DVD watcher.)
Didn't build my own computer. (depends on which computer your talking about.)
Don't run Linux. (half my home network machines run Linux.)
Have a significant other. (nnnnnnnnope)
Don't use caffeine. (I both breath and consume caffeine, but not necessarily in that order.)
Exercise regularly. (bwaaaa aaaa aaaaaaa!!)
Only have one email address. (Six active at last count. (Company 1, company 2, four home emails (ISP 1 (can't delete), ISP 2 (use to talk to people) hotmail (for purchase), yahoo (for people backup))))
Less than excellent karma.  (My karma, though used, is shiny and still has that new karma smell.

Web server
Now that I have had the opportunity to run a web server for a little while, I sympathies with the hoards of crappy web page responses out there. It's funny. I understand what is wrong on some of the errors I get across the net. There was one the other day that gave a PHP error and I'm like "You need to reset the privileges on the file for the Apache group."  Of course, I don't tell any one except the screen. Then I giggle at myself for being a geek.

Blog
There may be a new place (web address) for my blog. Blogger and BlogSpot suck. I'm going to figure out a way to put it on my server. I mean, come on. I have a web server sitting in my apartment. It probably won't be any more reliable than the one supported by BlogSpot. I mess with my server quite a bit so I'm doomed to unreliable service.

Cable <rant>
I don't have cable. Some people have an odd reaction to that statement. The reason I don't have cable is the money. I'm just too cheap. I have five channels and I watch too much TV now. A couple months ago I was in a class for some software. The people teaching the class were from the North East. They tried to make small talk with the crowd in the the audience. The trouble is they started talking about some cable TV show. There were nine of us in the class and not one of us had ever heard of the show. Those of us who had cable at the time never watched TV. Some said they only had it to appease their kids.
Even with the TV on all the time at my apartment I'm usually in front of the computer and use the noise from the TV to drown out my neighbors. The Cable company in my area doesn't offer cable modems. The guy has come by like three times to give me some offer. It is the same offer or so it seems. I like things the way they are. I don't want four hundred channels. There will come a day when broadcast TV goes the way of the CB radio. I'll find a substitute then. Right now, I'm far more worried about having a computer that works.



No comments: