It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2012-06-13

Notes

May 6th 1975. I was six years old.

I have an Android phone. I have nothing against Apple. I just think they are over priced for what you get. I don't get the rivalry. It pretty much boils down to money for me. My phone and service are far cheaper with my crappy Android than with an lush, fancy, iPhone.

People in Ireland feel they have handed away their independence, fought for by their elders. The legacy is gone. They are riled and displeased at the number of people who have no touch or connection to Ireland telling them how to live their lives. This day has been coming. People in Europe ran up the bill and now others are being asked to pay for it.

Still trying out gvim on Windows. I'm not yet fed up with it. The spell checker in gvim on Linux blows so I don't use it much. There is a much different spell checker on Windows that is usable. Also, gvim comes with vim so you can use vim on the command line in Windows. Very nice. Typically, I burn through text editors very quickly. They all piss me off. There are plenty of opportunities for this one to do the same. You have to manually add the spelling folder on Ubuntu to get the local dictionary to show up. There is an endless number of details one must be aware of to make this software work.

A Singapore airlines dumped all their in flight entertainment stuff and just rents out iPads for entertainment. Hawaii Airlines does something similar, but it is a proprietary device.

I have just been sleepy all day. I don't get what is wrong with me. I'm pretty sure I slept OK. I've been able to do my job well today. Not sure what the issues is with my ability to just keep going.

Fast and Furious, also known as Gun Walker lead to the death of agent Brian Terry. Some shit might go down.

Bill, Elle's grandfather, told me a bunch last night about military aviation and how pay grades work in the military. Apparently, grade six and up are VIP. They get parades if they turn up at bases. He elaborated on a couple "hurry up and wait" kind of stories from his and Ted's experience.

Sometime last week I was informed there was a Father's Day donut thing Wednesday at Elle's school. Yesterday afternoon Elle was talking about school and friends. The subject of Father's day came up and she said it was "Friday". Bill, corrected her that it was Sunday. Nothing more was said. This morning, Wednesday morning, I was late to work accepting a ride from Nat and being informed that the muffin thing (not donuts) was scheduled on Friday. My reaction was "Muffins!?"

Wow, Europe is flipping the collective shit. The financial news places are asking "How do we kick Greece out of the Euro?" and "Will Spain and Greece kill the Euro?" It is highly scary. Someone from Egypt was complaining what kinds of things they thought would happen if Europe "collapses". The word caused some hiccups in the room of people sitting in Europe asking the questions. Everyone seems to be screaming for more free money to get things going. The trouble is, when you look at the numbers, the free money does as much harm as good.

One of the ivy league schools is putting up online classes for just about anyone who wanted to attend for free no less. They didn't expect tens of thousands of people to sign up to the first couple of classes. The guy speaking in the interview said he was surprised with the response. This is good for the university and for the people. The university gets a bunch of people to try out a couple of their classes and get a feel for the place. Maybe, they will send their kids there or go there themselves one day.

I always thought that VI was the cut down version of VIM. It is the other way round. VIM stands for VI(iMproved). Learn something every day.

The rest of the world might just get the next generation of cable type TV distribution. The U. S. and Europe will not get it because existing industry lobbyists wining about intellectual property. The honest truth is that no one can compete with them as long as they make the technology that competitors would use illegal before anyone implements it.

It took me half an hour to figure out a printer was simply not going to work with USB on a particular Win 7 box. I ended up having to hook it up on the network and hook it up that way. The driver and Windows 7 both said they wanted to talk to each other over the USB cord, but it was not going to happen.

>

No comments: