It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2010-12-16

IT work

Well, it happened today. I got one of those calls that sounds much more serious than it really is.

I had a user today who couldn't see changes that any one else made to a network system. The other people could not see this user's changes either. We could see each other's changes though. After about 15 minutes of checking rights on the server, I finally walked over to this user's computer and realized the shortcut on the user's desktop was really a folder. I made a real shortcut and set the user to moving the files over, warning the user to check duplicates and not just assume either was the best one to use.

This sort of thing happens all the time. You really have to be on the lookout for the simple stuff right along side of the really complex stuff. To be honest, this is the sort of thing that can kill an hour. I just happened to catch it pretty early because the folder contents look quite different.

No comments: