It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2010-03-04

Luck or skill

Last night I tried something that had great probability of failing and destroying every bit of data on my computer. I played with my partisans on my computer. The computer has two drives. The system drive and the other one. The swap was on the other drive and was not being mounted on boot properly. I tried some things and they did not work. Then I decided to try messing with the partisans.

The program I used is called gparted. It is on the Ubuntu live CD. I hope that is one they never pull. I use the Ubuntu live CD all the time for that program. You can do it all from the command line, but with all the moving and shrinking and numbers that all start looking the same after a while, I really like using the graphical interface to keep things straight.

  • System drive
  • Shrink partisan by a couple gigabytes.
  • Move to the front of the drive.
  • Create a swap partisan at the end of the drive.
  • Other drive
  • Remove the partisan for swap from this drive.
  • Grow the data partisan.

It worked. The machine booted. Everything seems to be working. I'm not sue what to make of that.

When I was leaving the house this morning, the doorknob came off in my hand. One of the damn racers had driven through our yard. I did make it to work, but I'm trying to figure out if that is a good or bad thing in itself.

No comments: