It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2010-03-09

I got spoofed

Someone swiped my name and email off the net. I don't put it up on my sites except in Facebook and on the work page. I imagine they have no trouble figuring out what aria code I live in. They started spamming my work email like mad, used my work email to spoof other people at work (with "get your Russian bride ..." emails) and left me a voice mail about a "very important document." My personal number is not on the net, but I'm in the book.

I am required to put my work email which contains my full name on the work web page. We tried to design the code of it so bots would not pick it up, but humans can read it.

The phone call kind of pisses me off. The person on the other end had a really thick accent. I'm not sure, but it sounded far eastern. The man's lack of enthusiasm for what he was doing still came through. He just didn't sound like he was in to it. That or he had been on shift for a couple days. The background was fascinating. It sounded like people with the same accent speaking French and English.

The emails are blatantly spam. The phone call was blatantly spam. The scary things are the new phishing scams. The bastards use documents and graphics from the web page of the bank they are spoofing. They have gotten smart. It is getting to the point the fake emails look more convincing than the real ones.

For a minute I was worried they hacked my email, but you can put anything in the "from" field. I'm relieved to be honest that is is just some spammer as apposed to some serious identity thief. Surely I am not hack proof. I try to make it annoying for hackers. It is a bit like The Club that people used to put on cars. They were just there to make thieves look at the car next to yours.

No comments: