It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2009-05-13

Admin day two

I did a bunch more system administration stuff today. We got the bench systems done. I was even able to make custom setting changes quickly after the fact. I'm getting used to the toil. I also got to use the new USB cable I bought. It allows you to hook up several different kinds of drives including IDE, IDE (laptop) and SATA to the USB port. IT comes with a power adapter. It is not the quickest connector in the universe, but it works. I was able to run utilities on a couple dead drives today and get some results. I hope it will work for hooking up a DVD burner via USB as well. That is something I could use daily.

This is the typical high tech purchase. I'm getting all kinds of use out of the $10 cable and nearly none out of the $30 USB drive. It will not go to waist. Worry not.

I did make a new release for one of the software groups. I tried to make some needed changes to a build. I just didn't feel like working late today. I do, contrary to Nat's opinion, enjoy being home with my family after work. We have our own special time. This time is spent with Me on the computer, Nat watching TV, and Elle complaining or chasing the cats. It is still us time dammit.

Adam and I didn't even cross paths today. We may have said something this morning. I heard him cough so he was there. He has been Solaris Boy for the past couple weeks.

Something like fifteen people grabbed me today and pulled me in different directions. I was able to handle most of it. I still needed to ask questions. I didn't get quite everything done. There is a dead VM of SLES 11 sitting on a server. I'll have to catch it tomorrow.

My favourite thing that happened today was Aaron asking me about a dead video card. As we went to the lab he mentioned that Lance had taken a look too. I grabbed another card so we could give it a shot. When we got there, Aaron hit the on button and it just worked. I said 'ta-da' and walked off. Those are so rare, but so fun. It turns out he had just pulled the video card and popped it right back in. It was probably seated a mm off center or something. Still, it was fun.

No comments: