It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2008-10-03

Warped Wood

Keywords: Ike hurricane damage

I came home early Tuesday evening. Maybe it was Wednesday. I asked Nat to come to work and get me we could run home and figure out what was wrong with the back door. Then, I wanted to run to Home Depot for supplies and attempt to fix the back door. Nat threw a fit and I had to stop by Home depot blind (so to speak). I had to promise her pumpkin pie to get that. Amazing how a pie can cost $60 at the store when a few other things find their way into the basket.

I got sealer and some of that foam stuff. Nat has this cute way of trying to help where she follows behind me and shouts that I'm going the wrong way, or that I missed what I'm looking for. So, I feel like an idiot. No, a blind idiot. I can't just quietly wonder the store for a bit. Look around like I'm just browsing, but I'm really intently looking for something specific. Then I zero in and sneak out the magnifying glass to read the details when no one is paying attention. It takes a long time, but it works for me.

Well, I get home and the boards we put up as flashing around the door are so warped that they are nearly twisted off the side of the house. I would have loved to gotten some proper siding boards while at Home depot, but you can't choose your rides it seems.

So, I spent two hours foaming and squeezing sealer out of the tube to the point I could barely make a fist. I did the bedroom window as well. I ended up covered in the stuff. The boards we used around both of those items are the wrong kind of stuff. You are supposed to use this siding stuff that is some kind of concrete.  It is brittle, but will not warp in the h4eat and moisture.

 I am now covered in the stuff. I'm not referring to the night I did it. I mean right now, two days later as I type. This stuff is amazing. It is worse that super glue. It is stuck to my fingernails and skin. It looks like the beginning of leprosy. It is on my boots. I'm sure I have some kind of silicone poisoning.

This fix is not going to last. I am just fucking flat busted right now. Dance lessons for Elle. Ike repairs. $2100 for $5500 or more of repairs.  I mean, the fence has depreciated over the last couple years. That doesn't make it any cheaper for me to replace the goddamn thing. they don't cover blown rain damage. Blow me!! They only cover licensed work so you have to pay top fucking dollar to get anything repaired. Why do I pay for insurance again?

No comments: