It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2007-08-29

Checkpoints

I've heard about checkpoints on roads in the southern US Where the authorities look for illegal  aliens. Then I hear about checkpoints in the middle east that are pretty much looking for any one who they don't like at that moment. People in the US say they feel like the checkpoints do no good. The checkpoints keep moving north and never seem to catch the right people. The law breakers just move off the major roads in to neighborhoods and quiet side streets.

At the checkpoints in the middle east you might be asked religious questions to determine if you are Shiia or Sunni. You might be asked who your parents were to figure out if you have bad blood. You might be asked if you have ever been to Israel. You may be asked your tribe to figure out if you work for a particular militia.  You might very well be drug from your car and shot on the spot. It happens all the time.

Calling them something else doesn't make them any less of a Checkpoint. I believe we should allow cops to have checkpoints on roads and just give every one who passes by a breathalyser test. That is just me.

I've heard that in Israel you have to have your car searched to park in the grocery store parking lot. There may be a blast wall between the parking lot and the store front.

These are thing that just happen as one group of people tries to dominate every one else in the world. I'm surprised (pleasantly) that this sort of thing has not yet happened on a grand scale in the US. I do not know why we do not have weekly car bombs and homicide bombers. I'm not sure it matters that I know. I'm glad my family is that bit more safe. I'm not sure I care that big brother is listening to everything that goes on as long as my family is free to peruse better cable TV and hit the beach on occasion. Or listen to our choice of music just for entertainment.

The real sign of the fall of freedom in the US will come sometime after we need passports (or RFID or national ID cards with RFID) to travel from one state to another. That is the beginning of the end. End of life and freedom as we know it today. this option has already been proposed in one fashion or another. When it is implemented, well, I don't know what to do about it then.

No comments: