It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2007-03-08

Timely
I'm listening to NPR this morning. A story comes on about teenagers complaining about their parents never giving them the "talk". You know the one. The birds and the bee - I never got that one really. I've always wanted to be the dad that could talk about anything. This is timely because Nat had a little talk with Elle last night about kissing boys. The talk came about because of a little boy at McDonald's. Elle said something about kissing a boy at school. We are going to have a talk with the teacher about that one. Elle is four. I'm not ready to deal with this. I'm going to deal with it anyway.
I plan on being one of those irrational dad who supports his daughter without provocation. I plan on always taking her side  even if I know she is wrong. I'll tell her if I think she is wrong, but I'll still have her back. I'm not sure I can keep that up all the time, but I'll try.
Didn't I just say she was four going on sixteen?

Build Make Compile
Compile is what happens to each file as the Build program runs on a full package. Make is the name of one of those Build commands.

Compile usually refers to gcc or visual studio compiler. it converts code into binaries through a magical process that no one on Earth fully understands.
Make is the command that kicks things off. The Makefile is a list of commands, a script, that the Make program follows in order to Build a whole software package.
Build is the action of converting man's written code into that which will throw trillions of switches all in the correct order in what seems like an instant.
Like life, every switch in a computer is dependent on pretty much every other switch in the computer. Every line of code I write depends on millions of lines of code written by people I will never know. That line is dependent on a history of standards. That line is one among a legion of instructions that print "hello world".
The more I learn about computers, the more I'm amazed that anything ever works at all.

No comments: