It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2007-01-09

Orange Juice Crisis
So, we are driving along in the car last night. Elle is singing to a song that is not on the radio. Nat is describing her day to me. I'm sitting there staring out the window wondering what makes the world go round. There is a bottle of windshield wiper fluid rolling round the trunk. We accelerates "vmm vmm thunk" against the back of the trunk. We stop even gently "vmm vmm thunk" against the back of the back seat. I ask Nat to pull over so I can move it to the inside where it will most likely resit bursting and soaking the entire car. This goes without a hitch. Great job every one. That's teamwork. Then, not a mile down the road. I hear another "plop plop thunk" come from the back seat. It is distinctively a plastic cup with lid. I know this because I'm a dad now and we develop a sixth sense that tells us when the thermostat has been messed with and we can  identify the sound of something falling before it has hit. Useful.
We have a Carola. Small car. I reach behind my seat and there is absolutely nothing. Logic says It is behind the other seat where Nat stores her entire life or it is under my seat. Under my seat is also where the stereo amplifier sits. Nat stops at a stop sign. There are a bunch of cars behind us. Picturing myself opening the back door and orange juice flowing out onto the street. I get out, open the door, pat Elle on the head and look around the floor board. No sign of the cup. Nat says "It is probably under your seat." Sure enough I grope under the seat expecting a sopping wet carpet and possible an electrical shock. Nope. The lid stayed on the cup. It was dry as I could tell.I stuck it back in Elle's little cup holder and told Elle "Hold on to that." As I sat back in the car, I realized something amazing. No one honked.
Moral of the story. If you quickly jump out of your car and start messing with a kid in the back seat, people just instantly give up and try to get around you. This info could come in handy at some point.

No comments: