It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2007-01-28

Internet Panic
So, I wanted to hop on the internet last night about 3:00 am to check what year that car was on my blog. (by the way, I think it is a 56 Victoria) Only, the internet was down. No lights on the modem and no web pages on any of the computers. This sort of thing has happened before. I remember really hoping it was just some glitch that would take care of itself. This is not out of laziness. This is because I dread calling tech support for DSL.
I use Linux. No one at the tech support for DSL has herd of Linux, nor do they have any scripts ready to deal with Linux. I could write them some, but they don't care. These people are Americans somewhere in this country. I can tell by the accents. They mostly sound like idiots fresh out of high school who are kicking it back at this job until something better comes along. I mean hell, they get to sit the whole day. That is a great benefit.
I miss dealing with the tech support in India. The tech support we had at my old job was lacking most of the time. I would come in early to call tech support before the U. S. people started picking up the phones. The folks in India would not depend solely on their book of scripts to get them through. If you had some odd ball case, they would at least understand what you were trying to do and hear you out. This is because they had been to college. Where the Americans had not. I never asked, I could just tell. I can just tell that the infants I get here in the states, for the most part, just don't care if my problem ever gets fixed. I have to use Nat's machine because it has Microcrap as an OS and go through the script "No, I don't get any web pages." "No, I can't get a connection." "Yes, I hooked it straight up to the computer, not through a modem." When I started the conversation with "I can't DHCP an IP through the DSL modem. any more. It worked yesterday and every day for a year before that."
Thank goodness it just came back up today. I was genuinely worried I was going to have to deal with those idiots again. I wish the phone company would just outsource the jobs. It isn't like the Americans really want them anyway. Hell, half the applicants are probably illegal immigrants any way.

No comments: