It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2007-01-13

Finger Memory
I know for a fact that memory is linked on an as needed basis to every nerve in the body. I know this because there have been several times I've had to go back and sit down at my desk to remember why I got up in the first place. I have had to dial an imaginary dial pad in mid air when someone asked me a phone number.
I remember using a locker for weeks in high school and walking in one day to realize that I have forgotten my locker combination for no good reason. That tells me that even though I use it on a daily basis, it is not in the conscious part of my mind. It is not being touched when it is used in a way that will keep the memory alive. The process of retaining information is like web of points. If one point drops off the web the other points around it will try to reconstruct the missing point. Something is not truly forgotten until all the surrounding points are gone too.
This is deductive reasoning. Our minds love patterns. Our whole lives are built on recognizing patterns. In speech, writing, music, mathematics, every thing we do to communicate is pattern driven. One produces a pattern and someone else is supposed to pick up on that pattern. We have to recognize patterns in patterns.
It makes programming almost impossible. We need to come up with a program that learns patterns and the proper way to fit into those  patterns. It is more of a mesh than a cut and dry "When A, Do B" situation. People say "I need to find myself." all the time when what they are really looking for is their place in the web of society. Just don't tell them that.
By the way, a classic liberal may say "I want to find myself." Where a classic conservative might say "I want to find where I fit." That is what I bet any way.
I have a theory that dreams are just the brain's way of pinging all the nodes on the network and keeping them alive. That is why they are so off the wall most of the time. Well, they seem to be in my head anyway.
I bet that all memories are constructed the same way, even if they are accurate to reality or not. I remember throwing a ball. If I play it over and over in my head I can't help but let it change a bit. Details fade away. It is very easy to change the physical memory. For example if I threw the ball to a friend, I can picture myself in the exact situation throwing to another friend. If I play this over and over, the original memory is blurry and the new one seems more real.
This scares me when thinking of eye witness testimony.
There is an episode of Friends where Fibi blames Ross for something. She treats him like shit most of the episode only to walk through the experience that made her mad. Once she does this, she hops from memory to memory in order. Then she realizes it was a dream. The only thing that makes her realize it was a dream is her concuss logic. This is fiction, but it kind of proves my point. I know when I first wake up from a dream, I'm in "la-la land". There is no reality or dream. It is all just there. I have been known to talk in my sleep. I've worried people with what I say. When waking up from my dreams I have found that I'm not always playing myself in them. I've woken up thinking I was someone else for a bit. That is dangerous. I have no idea what that means, but it scares the hell out of me. What if I get stuck there?
So far, so good.

No comments: