It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2005-12-29

Complexity

Fortunately, studies show that we can learn to manage complex systems. There are people who have investigated complex systems management, and know how to do it. But it demands humility.
And I would add, along with humility, managing complex systems also demands the ability to admit we are wrong, and to change course.  If you manage a complex system you will frequently, if not always, be wrong.  You have to backtrack.  You have to acknowledge error. You\u2019ve probably learned that with your children.  Or, if you don\u2019t have children, with your bosses.
And one other thing.  If we want to manage complexity, we must eliminate fear.  Fear may draw a television audience. It may generate cash for an advocacy group. It may support the legal profession.  But fear paralyzes us.  It freezes us.  And we need to be flexible in our responses, as we move into a new era of managing complexity. So we have to stop responding to fear:

Rarely is there a movie, TV show, or conversation that captures my attention so much that I won't go to the bathroom at the first inkling of need. Never has there been a text that has bolted me to my seat in such a way. Not, that is, until today. I found an essay on Complex Systems that I could not stop reading until i was done. I didn't even realize I needed to go to the bathroom until I had absorbed the whole thing.
I've heard that religion is an old way to control the masses. It worked before there were these things we call governments. Fear of hell and lust for the rewards of heaven have governed our actions since we walked upright. I personally believe the concept of language came about because one wanted to control another. Michael says we must stop responding to fear. I say we must step back and stop responding to all emotions to understand what is going on around us. Emotions are what guided us before we started to "think". Emotions kept us fed, warm, together, away from danger. We have thought our way out of these holds. The Japanese seem to be the closest to enlightenment if this theory holds true. Then again the Vulkans may be the most advanced. Perhaps there will be a day when Human kind surrenders completely over to logic and predictability. It won't do much for art and creativity. Those are both celebrations of complex systems.
I love complex systems. It is why I like programing. So many people think computers are complex. They are not. They only do one thing at a time. Only one line of code goes past a processor at a time. Processors may have multiple threads. Computers may have multiple processors. The truth of the matter is they can only handle one instruction at a time. they are actually quite simple attempts to manipulate math.
Mat is quite simple. I know mathematical theory sounds complex, but it all boils down to 1 + 1 = 2. I hate to tell every one out there with a degree in mathematics. Theory is speculation. Some of that theory gets things done. Theories about friction tell us how breaks will stop a car. Computers don't deal with theory. Computers crunch a bunch of ones and zeros. Programmers deal with theory.
Back to Michael's essay. He goes into detail about the history of the mismanagement of Yellowstone park. Yellowstone holds a special place in my heart because I've been there. I have memories that will last a lifetime. I saw the burned forest. I saw one bear. I saw one moos. I saw a couple buffalo. I saw a goat. I saw some birds. I saw some elk. I'm legally blind. That is quite an accomplishment. Michael goes into how humans, from the American Indians to the current administration have failed in the management of the park. Creatures come and go. Meadows go dry. Michael uses it as an example of failed management. i say it would all take care of itself if there were no humans getting in the way. I've said it before, that the Earth would be a very nice place to live if it were not for humans.
I'd say that we are the complication.

No comments: