It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2005-11-25

Ubuntu
So, Ubuntu is the Linux I settled on. It is just easier to use and makes sense from the user's stand point. My previous complaint was about Apache server hiding in the configuration somewhere, but I've found it and it appears to be up and running. It had something to do with hitting "advanced" in the add programs application. I also complained about most codec systems not installing properly. I found the GStreamer libraries. They seem to work with at least older versions of DivX and XviD. I can play file MP3s now, but streams like Radio Paradise still don't get off the ground. It is all on my end. I had it working on the test hard drive. Give me time.
Let's see, I have the following stuff at least kind of working.
* VNC.
* Apache (www).
* FTP.
* Accessibility (reading to me).
* Mozilla Composer with spell checker.
* Some Media support.
I have not yet tried DVD burning or the like.
It is all going well actually. I've never had this much stuff working in Linux before. Only a little part of that statement has anything to do with my learning how to get things done. If I really knew what was going on, I bet I could get the vast majority of programs working under this OS with the exception of Games designed specifically for Windows.
Convert today.

No comments: