It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2004-12-09

Firewall Settings
Here is a high level view article that gives some good advice on setting up a firewall. No details. This is the 300 meter level. I was just trying to figure out how to let Ping through my firewall. It has something to do with ICMP. I'm going to have to go play with the system and figure it out. Below are some rules for setting up a firewall from the article.

# Anything from inside the network is allowed out. This empowers employees to have full control to use whatever services they might need.

# All access to the firewall itself is blocked from the Internet. Almost all access to the firewall is blocked from inside the network. The only people with access to the firewall should be the firewall administrators, and this should be done through some secure authentication mechanism such as two-factor identification tokens, smart cards, and finger-print scanners.

# Allow SMTP messaging services for both Internet and internal users to pass through your firewall--this is required for you to receive and send e-mail.

# ICMP services should be turned off to prevent utilities such as ping to pass through your firewall. Many hacker and scanning programs use ping.

# You should block Telnet access to all internal servers from the Internet. At the very least, be sure to block Telnet access to your DNS server to prevent illegal zone transfers, and to prevent hackers from taking down your entire network. If your internal users need to come in to your network from outside the firewall, you should be using a VPN client, or other secure authentication system.

# If your Web server is outside the firewall, consider blocking HTTP from reaching your internal networks. That way, if any employees are running Web servers for internal use on their desktops, the services will not be visible to the outside Internet. If your Web server is behind the firewall, you need to allow HTTP or HTTPS through for the Internet at large to view it. Therefore, I'd generally recommend putting Web servers outside the firewall.


More on Dell
Delivery Details
UPS came back Wednesday evening and picked up the other lady's computer. She had called and left a message earlier that day. Thank goodness that is over with. She has her computer and I no longer have the headache. I think she figured out what happened. I didn't notice, but her computer's box said 2 of 2 on it. She also ordered a printer and some speakers that were shipped separately. That is probably why the guy brought both boxes up to my apartment. He looked quite frazzled. I bet he was working a double.
Installs
I'm installing the long list of software I use on my new computer. Open Office, ReadPlease and about nine hundred other software packages I will have on the machine before I consider it work ready.
Moving hardware
I had three computers plugged into one outlet. For over a year, I've been telling myself that I should move the computers over to the other wall and at least distribute the load a bit. Well, I did the move and ran one of my "wireless-less" cables across the room to connect them to the network. One of those machines is my HTTP server, It is not on the network at the moment. I'm waiting on a switch. So, no pictures on the blog for a little bit.
Firewall
I have some trouble getting the Windows Firewall to work. It is a configuration thing I'm sure. I'll write more on it later.
Earphone Jack
This machine has something that I've been looking forward to for a long time. An earphone jack on the front. It is built into the case. When you plug into it, the speakers cut out. I think they cut out. I haven't actually plugged in a speaker yet. They are on their way. It shocks me that it has taken this long for the feature to catch on with large distributers. This seems like a no-brainer.
Monitor
It turns out the flat panel monitor I ordered is not digital. I must have been reading the wrong description. I was disappointed. I sold the monitor to a buddy at work and ordered a Sony that does it all. I figure you can use the monitor for about two computers. In the future you may be forced to upgrade every time because I believe the standard computer will be a notebook design. The desktop's days are numbered.

No comments: