It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2004-12-06

Disk World
I'm looking into Disk World. I've heard it described as a parity of all the SciFi fiction of the eighties. Sounds like the setting for me. I love eighties Anime and moves like Alien and Blade Runner. This vision of the future is probably not the way things are going to unfold. I've come to the realization that a bunch of corporations and capitalism will be the first entities other intelligent life forms run into. Some one with the title of "Sector 19 Regional Manager" will be the first to shake the tentacle of an alien, long enough for the photo-opp anyway. Then the marketing people will take over. There is more of Dilbert than Star Trek in our future, I fear.
Does any one out there have recommendations for this and other series?

I Learned Something
"al-qaeda" means "the Camp".

Dell
Some one came by the office today asking about Dell computers. They want to do video editing. You don't really need that powerful of a computer. You need lots of hard drive and gobs of RAM. You also need a fair to good video card. I don't know if Dell offers the video card you really need. Apparently, Dell is no longer offering the monitor deal I snagged.
I've been thinking that this could very well be the last desktop computer I buy. Desktops are not miles ahead of laptops any longer. You can get some portable desktops (big laptops) that are upgradeable and lugable. I bet in two years, when I decide to upgrade again, there will be better alternatives than another desktop.

More on the Lost Bomb

Police say the explosives, which were not accompanied by a detonating device, were slipped inside a small dark blue suitcase on a baggage conveyor belt.
One sniffer dog detected the package, but police lost sight of the suitcase when they went to pick up a second dog that was supposed to take part in the exercise.

<bad French accent> Idiots, I told you not to put Clouseau on K-9 detail. </bad French accent>

eBay
You know, i need to go buy some little thing on eBay. I then need to turn around and sell something. eBay has become a modern cultural icon. It seems like every one I work with has had transactions on eBay. I know one guy who bought some ceramic figurines for his mother. He ended up getting some duplicates. When he sold them again he made money. He ended up buying more and just turning around and selling them as soon as he could. No one around me has done large or expensive items. It's great for getting rid of clutter..

No comments: