It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2004-11-13

White Bread
On my way home yesterday I figured I should stop and get some food for the weekend. Normally, I blow it off and just order some pizza or something, but it was a nice chilly day yesterday and I would almost enjoy waiting on the bus. I stop at my local grocery store and begin tossing a few odd foods into my basket. I use the carry kind of basket because I only want to get enough stuff to carry home on the bus. I grabbed some green bananas. I got cereal, some cans of soup, hot dogs, lunch meat, and some store brand mac-and-cheese (with real cheese).  Typically, the last thing I grab is bread. That way it is on top and less likely to get smooshed.
I walk slowly up and down the wall of bread. I start pacing faster and faster and grunting in disbelief. All the bread is something special now. There are fifteen kinds of wheat bread. There are nine kinds of white bread, half of which are some kind of wheat. The loaves that say white bread don't look white. I say to myself out loud (really too loud to be just to me) "Is there no ^white^ bread in this country any more." Just as I was about to embark on a rant to no one on the liberal infection taking over the food industry, this little old lady standing a few feet away stops and says "Oh, honey, you want this stuff." She points at the bottom shelf. The loaf says "enriched white bread." I thank her and say "This sounds like the stuff I was looking for." Oh, baby this stuff is great. It reminds me of the sandwiches momma used to make. I'm about to embark on a toast making adventure with my new, fresh, enriched white bread.

No comments: