It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2004-02-04

Frigging Microsoft
Get with the program Microsoft. You think you are on top. So did Hitler. So did Stolen and a few others who's names escape me. I hope when I grow up that I will look back on the day when people were slaves to one company.
The vast majority of customers need no more than a word processor, email client and a web browser. I don't remember the last time I printed a letter. (oh, I do. It was to complain about my noisy neighbor a year ago.)  I have considered throwing out my printer. Microsoft needs to reassess their direction. Microsoft has been telling the customers what they want instead of listening to customer's needs for a long time - for ever.
In my case, last night I had a text editor cost me at least one day's work. I edited a file on a Windows machine and saved it to a Windows partition. Then I moved the file to a SMB share to use on Linux (Mandrake 9.2) as a script. The first line of a script in Linux is very important. It tells the operating system which script language you are using. The line was correct. The path was correct. It was as if the line wasn't even there. It took me for ever to figure out that if I created the script file on the Linux box and then copied the entire contents of the original script into that new file, he script worked correctly. There was some kind of control character in the original script that was throwing off the interpreter definition. I blame Microsoft for not playing nice with the rest of the world. This is one example. It cost me time.

No comments: